Wednesday, August 24, 2011

New Title and Some Delights

Dear Ones,


I have given the blog a slightly new title:
An opportunity for Amelia to share the experience of a breast cancer as she journeys with it - as well as tidbits of life beyond and around and within that experience.

Lily in our bedroom window
Yes, I must acknowledge that my original title to the blog is no longer complete.  Back when this was a lumpectomy with a bit 'o radiation, I was going to be able to "walk through it this summer," and now.... well we know it is going to take longer than this summer.  It will be March before I am finished with active treatment.  And so it is.

The last few days have been a delightful change of pace and for that I am entirely grateful.

First, let me report to you all that my landlord has generously offered us the opportunity to stay in our wonderful temporary rental for the next 6-8 months as I get through treatment.  THANK YOU KAREN! This was supposed to just be the summer, and looking about for alternatives wasn't turning up much.  This is such a delightful, grace-filled home, really a healing place for me, Sarah gets a stable spot from which to start school, Laura gets to kayak and enjoy the new experience of living on the water and Lily loves the napping spot in the picture above.

Beyond that, after last week's visit to CTCA, we have been able to relax and breathe a bit.  Laura and I realized that this past weekend was the first time in two months that we simply could relax.  No surgery to prepare for or heal from, no current treatment, we have had the chance to simply live and do normal things.  I have healed up enough from all of the surgeries to be out and about, I drove for the first time in over a month, and doing normal things feels so good.

I am very conscious of maintaining my separate identity as Amelia.  The person who is receiving treatment for cancer is part of who Amelia is, however it is not all of who I am. So, getting to drive around on my own recognizance, meeting the architect at the new house, going out to dinner with Mom and Sarah, nice simple normal pleasures.  It is nice to sink into a place where the cancer treatment is not ALL of my experience.

Oh what a beautiful morning... oh what a beautiful day... I've got...
There are many other delights, like this incredible weather we have enjoyed and the blessing of an earthquake that shook us up, yet left the us relatively unscathed.  I have straightened the pretties and cleaned up the flour in the pantry, and was able to hold Sarah during the earthquake, so all good.  The facebooking and texting afterwards was quite amusing, but important.  I am thankful that I am able to sink in and check in with loved ones at a distance, so knew Laura was ok at the office.

Enjoy this beautiful day, get out and make some Vitamin D.   We are going to run up to Second Chance in Baltimore and consider some good reuse options for the new house.  And that is FUN for my system!


Much Love to you all,
Amelia

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this post. Blessings to you all.
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have an awesome rest of the day! The kids both had fun in the blow up pool today because it is REAL hot here!

    ReplyDelete