Tuesday, October 18, 2011

On Being Bald

Dear Ones,

So, it isn't exactly like I thought it would be, it is sort of odd actually, this lack of hair thing.

It was coming out in bunches, only saved from appearing too thin by my curls, and it needed to go. This is one of those big things for those in cancer treatment - the hair. For me, it was what will I actually look like bald? How is my head shaped? Will I look really sick?

So, I did it, as I have written, we cut my hair off and the buzzed it. My scalp was happier - it literally was burning from the pull of the hair on the follicles.

I didn't anticipate the ice cream headaches though. Wow, cold is painful.

Or the fact that I can now shop in peace in so many stores. The sales people just leave me alone.

I didn't know that my head was beautiful, and my eyes are so big and green.

And I wasn't aware of how I could surprise myself with a quick glance in the mirror when I am not wearing a hat or scarf.

The steadiness of my dear Sarah has impressed me, she continues to assert that "it isn't a good look for me" but she hasn't been bothered or squeamish about bald Mama a bit.  She was quite helpful the other evening as I looked at hat options, vetoing the vast majority.  As she finished up and prepared for bed she commented, "My work here is done."

Laura, my beloved, simply tells me how beautiful I am and likes to rub the fuzz on my head.

That's the other thing, I have fuzz.... If I want to be shiny bald, I need to shave. That will probably change as I go further into chemo and change drugs. For now though, the fuzz is a color that is more indicative of my age than anything else. I find that bothers me and makes me sad sometimes.

I am quickly expanding my hat and scarf wardrobe. I like to match. The chemo-cleanse heats up my body, so I go from lovely with multiple hats to steaming and pulling off said hats, only in private so far, quite unexpectedly.

What I am finding frustrating this week is that hair matches all of one's outfits.  Hats and scarves do not, matching can be really frustrating some mornings, and running around looking like a crazed fortune teller is not my preferred persona.

I'm curious about running around bald, and it isn't really warm enough anymore. We'll see how I do there, how about I start here.

I have a beautiful wig. It needs trimming and steaming, and it is too hot, and I am cranky about it. So I put on my wool hats and scarves and keep trying to remember to call my hairstylist to get her to fix it.

Bald is truly an opportunity to let go of so many attachments and ideas. As long as I allow the moments of grief and sadness, fear and loss in, too.

Blessings to you all, with all your fabulous hair! Enjoy it!

Amelia

7 comments:

  1. There weren't many times when my mom would admit to feeling down, but losing her hair was harder on her emotionally than the chemo. One of her friends who had been through it before suggested a sewing/knitting circle of friends to make scarves and hats with my mom. The group met most Friday nights and continued on as a crafting night. Her head covers became a fun thing. It never made the prospect of losing her hair easier, but once her hair was gone, she really enjoyed playing with the scarves. And because Austin was so hot she quickly became accustomed to going bare. I hope you find the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thinks you are one sexy, sassy chick. I miss you so much. I'm sending you a big hug and a wink.
    I love you,
    Regina

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the most perfectly round head. It's beautiful! Mia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you sweet one... I think you have a beautiful soul and eyes that shine out from under your soft fuzzy beautifully shaped head... the essence of you is there Amelia and there's no hiding it now! I love you and think of you and really send you hugs and healing prayers and thoughts...I get that it isn't your choice to be shaving your head. I hope you grow to love it and see the beauty that is you~ the temple of your mind my dear, hair or no hair. xo. love chante

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are simply beautiful...Hair or no hair, fuzz or no fuzz, hat or no hat. Your inner and outer beauty just shine no matter what's on top.
    Sending love from the mountains...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelia, you look great. It is what it is but it's what you make from it that counts. Find the fun in having to wear hats and matching scarfs. At least you don't have to worry about "hat" hair these next few months. And I too, am usually too hot to wear a hat for long, so find the pleasure in being able to enjoy the warmth the hats provide. Like you said, your eyes really do shine out. Enjoy. Rita

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a beautiful head. To match your inner beauty, wonderful smile & shining eyes. Hugs, Lori

    ReplyDelete