Thursday, August 4, 2011

And Then a Step to the Right

Dear Ones,

I hope this finds you well. I've been processing and healing here, quite an undertaking I must say.

The news from the pathology report is back, it is very good and it has brought me to a place of deep grief.

In the axillary dissection, second surgery, Dr. Drogula removed thirteen lymph nodes, all of which were clear of cancer. This is wonderful news, it means that the cancer had not spread beyond the two sentinel nodes. It means that we can have confidence that the -large enough to detect- colonies of cancer cells have been removed from my body surgically. It is good news.

And I am grieving. Grieving the loss of all those healthy, unaffected, simply doing their job, seemingly pretty well, blessed lymph nodes.

This was a possibility that I was certainly aware of, I had considered it and wondered how it would feel. Relief? Sadness? Anger? Gratitude?

All of the above, and so much grief. I am aching from the loss, I have cried a few buckets and then a few more. All opportunities for gratuitous tears have been welcomed and tear up again I may in an hour.

And again, know how clear I am on this, I did the best I could and I don't regret the choice or the outcome. I made absolutely the best choice I could make given what I had to go on. We had just found two extremely active sentinel nodes who were overrun and had cancer cells spilling out of them into the surrounding tissue.

I chose this and I grieve this.

And I am so grateful to my immune system (so much is which lives in my lymphatic system.) This could gave been so much worse and it wasn't. Between the clear PET/CT and these clear thirteen nodes, we know so much. That knowledge will inform further treatment and help me rest at night.

I am grateful. I am relieved. I am not celebrating though.

Dear Ones, I know that I make it hard on you all some days to know how to respond to me. This is another one of those situations, I know it, I can feel it. Shouldn't we simply celebrate Amelia? You may, quietly and privately, I am grateful, yet not celebratory.

And, I am also exhausted and still healing. Two surgeries in two weeks is tough. This second surgery was more extensive and involved a drain and such yukky things. I also had a medi-port installed, so both sides of my upper body are healing. My body is rejecting any pain relief beyond Advil and herbals. I'm not trying to bitch about it. I simply need to honor the stress and challenge and allow that there is more to come.

South River Today
As I write, the South River outside my window is filling with rain, I feel it washing over and through me. I release these tears and sadness and grief into all that water, let it be washed away from me and all who grieve this afternoon.

I trust where I am going to. I trust where I am being guided to. I am so very well taken care of in all things.

Send me peace and rest please. I am not nearly ready to do much more than that for awhile. Sarah will be back from the beach soon, so I may need some driving help there. Laura continues to be my most amazing support, she is taking such good care of me, send her lots of love too!

There are more doctors to see and treatment plans to discuss. I'll keep you all posted as options and plans become clearer.

Back to that rest and peace for me now.

Much love,
Amelia

yes, obscure time warp reference title

6 comments:

  1. I have to say that I haven't been worrying about you - not in the least. While I have been holding you in prayer, I know that things are unfolding as they should. Your postings are clear evidence that you know the point about peace and strength walking hand in hand. As such, I know you don't need my worries. I do offer you my love.

    I was making citrus, mango, papaya marmalade and enjoying all the smells when I felt the wind pick up and thought it might rain. Seems like we may have been watching the same storm unfold from slightly different vantage points.

    Some people seem to look at storms and fear the uncertainty and the uncontrolled power swirling in the clouds; they run to the basement and quake at the thunder and cover their eyes.

    I like storms, I see them as things of power and beauty and unfolding potential. I see them as chaos coming together to create tangible water and wind and renewal. I find intricate art in the flashes of lightning and excitement in the thunder echoing through my chest. I hope for cool rain on my face.

    I get the sense you appreciate storms too, both actual and metaphorical, as something emerging, as something unfolding, as something sacred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the time warp reference. Thinking of you often ( and Laura ) . Your writing is good..and it keeps your friends posted..so thanks for that. May the arms of the angels enfold you as you rest and heal. Lots of love,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao from Italy.......we are experiencing parallel universes you and I dear Amelia.......it's Arlene and I'm about 9 months ahead of you in the experience! with lots of love and the fervent hope that we may get to see you and meet Laura and even Sarah one day soon here in Florence Italy where we've been for nearly 8 years! Mille baci.......Arlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, all of the kind words of encouragement and all of the logic and affirmation for making a good decision cannot eliminate the feeling of "That sucks." So dear friend, by all means, grieve this loss. It does suck in the ways you described. But also rest in the knowledge that once your grieving is over, you will find joy in your choice, confidence in your recovery, and continued love flowing all around you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, dear one, you absolutely made the best decisions for yourself that you could with the information you had.

    Don't let anyone lead you to second guess. I have inherent trust in your capacity to know what is right for you.

    I send support for you and all your feelings. I can feel the grief and the gratitude, and support you in the whole range of your feelings. Just keep riding the waves of emotions and sensations. In the midst of the waves, we begin to find those still points, and they begin to become more frequent, deeper, and longer in duration. It is a process, as you so well know.

    Sending lots of love and peace to you and all those closest to you, sending deep restorative and healing rest to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amelia, I am thinking of you and wishing you peace. I am so impressed with how you are honestly posting your thoughts and feelings. And you may bitch all you want, and grieve over the loss body bits, and anything else that helps you to live in this time of your life. Hugs to you and Laura.
    Lis

    ReplyDelete