Sunday, September 23, 2018

Awareness Time!

Dear Ones,

I am part of a new community this year, one that none of us wanted to join. The metastatic breast cancer community. 
never in october

While I am new there, those here who have known me for awhile are probably aware that I start bristling as October approaches. All the shades of pink are my favorite colors, and I only get to enjoy them 11 months of the year.  

My pink is about to disappear for Pinktober. I will not support the pinksploitation of breast cancer. 

While I know very few in this new community, I recently found joy reading a post encouraging us to note all the ridiculous ways pink is abused in during October. The general reaction was angry, frustrated, disgusted, and unhappy. I’ve found my people! (on this subject at least:)

It’s pretty telling that that metastatic breast cancer community (the people who will probably die of breast cancer) are so unhappy about these campaigns. They feel as pummeled, exploited, and targeted as I. Our diagnosis is being used for fear-mongering and profit. 

Pink Abuse
I ask you, instead of buying pink, to donate (see below) to organizations that actually spend money on research that will save lives. The only breast cancer that kills is metastatic breast cancer - if you find yourself being hounded by the pink, ask! How much is going to research? What research and how is it going to save lives? Money going towards “awareness” is not helping anyone. 

It disgusts me that many of the pink and beribboned items don’t even raise money, or if they do, it is a tiny percentage of sales or a small set amount. Businesses use October to increase sales and look like they care. Please don’t fall for it. 

I get that many people love those who have had or are experiencing breast cancer. I get that they (you) want to do something to help and show support. I know that many people, including those who are diagnosed with stage 1-2-3 find happiness and support in the pink. Do you. 

I simply ask you do you with awareness of what the pink is actually for and how it impacts some of us who are livings with metastatic disease. 

Love,

~Amelia


A suggestion of a place to donate - Metavivor.org - here is there statement about research: 
In the United States, someone dies from breast cancer every 14 minutes. This number has not decreased significantly in nearly 40 years despite a huge movement to raise awareness and funds for breast cancer research. Just wearing, buying, or even walking for "pink" does not reduce deaths from breast cancer. Scientists know that research specifically focused on metastasis is crucial to significantly reduce the breast cancer mortality rate. Metastasis research is challenging for various reasons. However, the biggest obstacle is lack of funding: only an estimated 2-5% of the funds raised for breast cancer research is spent on studies of metastasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment