Tuesday, September 20, 2011

These Curly Locks

Dear Ones,

When I wrote a couple of weeks ago about letting go of my hair, a good friend who has walked a similar journey, shared this poem with me.  My own long strands of silky threads are coming loose from their anchors and will soon be gone.  This poem speaks to me; it makes me smile and it helps me let go just a little bit more easily.

I realized what was happening as I ran my fingers through my hair yesterday in the car.  Sarah was with me and declared the handful of loose golden threads weird.  It is weird, yet it was also expected to happen at some point in the next few weeks.  My plan is to buzz my hair off some day very soon, so that I don't end up with an odd mullet or other peculiarity that would probably not actually be funny right now.  Once a Leo, always a Leo.

With that said, the buzz will be a sacred moment that is shared with Laura and a close friend.  I will save my hair, so that it can line the nests of birds as spring arrives next year.

Love and Blessings to you all,
~Amelia

FAREWELL TO HAIR by Terri Hanson

I stood outside on a windy day
and ran my fingers through my hair.
Long strands of silky threads
blew across the lawn.
They glistened in the sun,
too many to count.

I imagined a nest,
lined with my mane,
woven by a mama bird.
The babies nestled,
snug inside,
warmed by my fallen tresses.

Now on the wintry nights,
when my head is cold,
I pull my wool cap
over my ears and smile
as I dream of baby birds
sleeping in my hair.

3 comments:

  1. I love that poem. Thanks for sharing it, and for sharing you.
    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching poem....Be safe on your journey <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was a great poem too and I hope the birds will use your tresses in the springtime. Peace be with you and yours. Rita

    ReplyDelete