Sunday, December 11, 2011

A Few Good Reads


Dear Ones,

A few great books that I have read, and continue to read and enjoy this year. No particular order or such, take what catches your attention, disregard the rest.


Health At Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight by Linda Bacon, PhD

Because this is what it is about, with a lot of of science and real information, delivered with gentle understanding and true compassion:
The Live Well Pledge
Today, I will try to feed myself when I am hungry.
Today, I will try to be attentive to how foods taste and make me feel.
Today, I will try to choose foods that I like and that make me feel good.
Today, I will try to honor my body’s signals of fullness.
Today, I will try to find an enjoyable way to move my body.
Today, I will try to look kindly at my body and to treat it with love and respect.

If you, or anyone you know has gotten lost in the world of what the medical system says is the truth and has lost track of their internal knowing and trust for their body, this is a must read. I have spent so many years trying to fit my body into the format that the doctors and our society deem acceptable. This has absolutely wreaked havoc on me. It has emboldened the voices in my head to be simply awful to me on a regular basis and it has had such an effect on my self esteem as well as my body. Now this book. Thank you Linda Bacon.



This is quite a book. Overcoming Underearning by Barbara Stanny focuses on money, and how we treat our money... ie: how we treat ourselves.... hmmm.... So much good to look at here, it is amazing. And guess what, money, bodies, life... all connected, all related, work in one neighborhood, benefits the others. We have been so interested in this work that we did the workshop over the last six weeks. That took the process so much further; I can't recommend it enough.

If you are curious, take a look. It really is a good read, and taking a look at how I value myself, my money and my assets continues to be a very worthwhile endeavor. Apparently it is also ok to want to make more money and have more than enough money... who would have thought it?









Now, for a bit of fun, Enslaved by Ducks by Bob Tarte is simply a delight. Reading to each other has been one of the ways that Laura and I have stayed connected, taken care of each other and simply enjoyed ourselves during the last few months. This is the first book we read together and one of the best. Laugh out loud worthy.









The Bucolic Plague, by Josh Kilmer-Purcell is another hilarious read. These two fabulous Manhattanites take themselves to upstate New York, spend way too much money and buy themselves an 1802 mansion and a farm.

Their experiences, challenges and all are great entertainment, another book Laura and I have read to each other.

They ended up with a reality TV show as well. It isn't as fun as the book, because they simply need Imago counseling for their relationship far too desperately, and listening to them bitch at each other gets old quickly. However watching the show to see the marvelous goats and llama, the land and the town is certainly entertaining.


Goat Song: A Seasonal Life, A Short History of Herding, and the Art of Making Cheese, by Brad Kessler is a literary marvel. On one hand, it is simply a book about getting to the country and making cheese, on the other it is a wonderful history and chronicle of goats, they have been with us for so long that they are in many ways embedded in our language and psyche. In this book we get to learn so much about why this is, and it is truly eye-opening.

And, as you can imagine, from the last two books, we would really like to have goats. Ain't happening on our tiny plot in Highland Beach, but someday...


Well, this will end my reading notes for this afternoon. I would love to hear about what you are reading, our Kindle is always looking for more content.

much love,
~Amelia





1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your very nice review of my book, "Enslaved by Ducks." I've got a new one called "Kitty Cornered" coming out in April 2012. It's about our six cats. My thoughts are with you! You are a very courageous and inspiring woman.

    ReplyDelete